How Do I Start Collecting Pens: Fake Montblanc Serial Numbers

This is one of the most convincing fake Montblanc fountain pens we have ever seen.

After 14 years in the pen business, I have just encountered one the very best fake Montblanc pens I’ve ever seen. It came with a collection of vintage pens for appraisal. I had been told it was a Montblanc rollerball, and it looks very much like a Montblanc Classique. The appraisal customer told me it was a LeGrand.

A quick inspection showed it had a serial number in the clip band, Pix written under the clip, perfect cap band nomenclature. It came with a convincing box and set of papers!

My first clue something was wrong came when I tried taking off the cap. A true Classique has a slip cap. This cap was threaded…and LeGrands are supposed to be threaded…though this pen was too skinny to be a LeGrand. Open the pen, and it took an authentic Montblanc rollerball refill. But, inside the barrel was a metal threaded space when there are no metal threads in an authentic MB Classique. There was so much right and wrong with the pen.

That’s when my brilliant fiancĂ©e recommended searching the number on the clip band.

EN1340798 is one of the most frequently used serial numbers on fake Mont Blanc pens.

Lo and behold, this pen turned out to have one of the most faked numbers for faux Montblanc pens: EN1340798. Research quickly showed it on fountain pens, rollerballs and ballpoints.

In a security fail for the actual Montblanc company, they don’t track their serial numbers. As such, many, if not most, MB serial numbers are not assigned to a pen owner or provenance of any kind. Montblanc has even acknowledged that sometimes it reuses serial numbers! Ironically, this makes the very security measures the company uses to authenticate its pens that much less secure.

In an effort to help separate the real pens from the fakes, please write in the comments section any other serial numbers you know to be fake. Thanks!

18 thoughts on “How Do I Start Collecting Pens: Fake Montblanc Serial Numbers

1. Dale Coghlan

I bought a Mont Blanc fountain pen in Shenzhen, China. The serial number looks like NDL33966L. It is in tiny letters on the side of the top of the clip

2. Seth Klein

Hello
    I have a Montblanc 149 with a serial number
    PG1040569, made in Germany,on the clip.
    Anyway you can identify if it is a genuine Montblanc or fake?
    Thanks!

1. Nathaniel Cerf Post author

Hi Seth! Thank you for reading and writing to us. I did a quick Google search for that number and it didn’t come up. However, that alone won’t tell if it is authentic. You can always send it in to Montblanc for authentication, but they’ll charge you. Is “Pix” written under the cap. If you search for 149 nib designs, does your pen match? Is there a red-wine hue to the black resin when you hold it up to a bright light? Those are all factors that can help you verify it at home.

3. Peter J Puleo

My Montblanc has “Pix” under the clip, it has the red-wine glow and the serial number is
    MX1249742. I think it is a slim Classique. Can you tell me anything about authenticity? Thanks you !

1. Nathaniel Cerf Post author

Howdy Peter! Thank you for writing. It sounds good to me. I Googled the serial number and nothing came up. If you want it formally authenticated, you can send it to Montblanc, but they’ll charge you for the privilege, either way.

4. Doyle Rogers

I have a Montblanc Boheme Rollerball (Rouge) red stone 25300 (I believe??).
    Its serial number is VY1180593. Color black with red rectangle gemstone on clip. It has the indicators of not being a fake. “PIX” embossed on backside of clip, a serial number, and the word “Germany” on upper cap ring. I have been unable on the internet to get a positive description or obtain any information about the pen from the serial number. I understand that Montblanc hasn’t maintained strict control over the numbers.

I do not have original boxing or paperwork. It was purchased as part of a large real estate acquisition. I would just like to know if I have identified it accurately in my above description, and perhaps an estimated date of manufacture. Any help appreciated!

11-29-2021

1. Nathaniel Cerf Post author

Thank you for writing to us. From what you explain, it sounds like the real thing. I think the red stone clip versions were first made around the year 2000. I don’t know how many years they made them for, though. All the best, Nathaniel

5. Tom Watson

Nathaniel,

I purchased what I know is a fake Classique Ballpoint pen which I hope you can further confirm by the serial number XY2006108. Some Other things I have discovered since researching fake Mont Blancs which might help in detecting them are:

1. There is no spacing in the engraving of either the serial number or the word GERMANY.

2. The script used in both serial number and GERMANY is totally different from that of authentic pen which I own e.g.

The centre ‘v’ middle downstrokes of the letter ‘M’ touch the bottom as in ‘M’ in the fake engraving, whereas in my authentic pen it is engraved with the middle downstrokes only part way down. All 3 horizontal strokes of the letter ‘E’ are all the same length in the fake pen, whereas the middle stroke of the letter ‘E’ of the authentic pen is shorter than the top and bottom strokes. The letter ‘A’ is engraved as a sharp pointed top character ‘A’ whereas it has the appearance of a rounded inverted thimble like character in the original. There are other noticeable difference in the letter character engraving if you compare.

Again, with the serial numbers there are obvious differences in the engravings e.g.

The numeral ‘0’ is rounded on the fake pen whereas on the authentic pen it is square shaped. The numeral ‘1’ on the fake pen has the normal small cross stroke and single downstroke as in ‘1’ whereas in the authentic pen there is an extra small upstroke to the right of the downstroke.

The above are a few examples of differences I have discovered in my research do far.

One other curious thing about the fake pen I have that I noticed, it also has the word ‘METAL’ engraved between ‘GERMANY’ and the Serial number.

I trust this information may be helpful in our fight against the counterfeiters.

Tom Watson (Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland)

1. Nathaniel Cerf Post author

Howdy Tom! Wow! Thank you for this great addition to our knowledge to fight the fakes. I did a quick Google search on that serial number, and it is, indeed, a counterfeit. Great observations!

1. Lee

I have a lot of fake serial numbers but I don’t have any money to buy pens. But try to learn and advise people not to buy fakes at this time, as an example.
      MT1094088 / IW1666858 / IW1666865 / IY1073508 / IY10568667

6. Nina Chou

I just stopped by a MB boutique and they told me the 114 Mozart I purchased pre-owned from a authorized reseller and pen store is not authentic. Serial number XY1014049. It has all the markings of a real MB, wine red glow, Pix under clip etc. The rep told me the pen has a mix of fake and real parts, but the serial number check came up with six different pens. The seller swears it is real, and is willing to personally contact MB, but I think I will just send it back for return afterall.

1. Nathaniel Cerf Post author

Thank you for writing in, Nina. Montblanc makes life complicated. It reuses some of its serial numbers. However, fakers have much better fake parts that look more authentic. Perhaps somebody fixed a real pen with fake parts, but it is very unusual to have a mix of real and fake parts in the same pen. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, always feel free to return it. Hopefully, the seller will give you a refund. Without seeing the pen or knowing the boutique, I not sure how much I can help beyond that. However, Montblanc does have an authenticating service, if you want to roll the dice and keep it. (Unfortunately, the authentication service is expensive.) Best of luck!